Sunday, October 7, 2012

What do I see?

I see people. We live in a world of humans, and for the most part our existences are defined by our relationships with those around us. Of course it doesn't have to be that way, but I live in the city, and this is what I see. I see people trying to impress each other with a constellation of idiosyncratic tactics, unaware that the other's mind is far too busy trying to create an impression of their own. I see people trying to fit in. They don't see that the problem is in the trying. Most of all, I see a series of distractions. Vicarious living on the television, an alcoholic blindfold on the brain, working hard to get somewhere we're not even sure we want to be. I see happy children and haggard parents. Six billion faces and stories. I see my search for peace. I see fear of death swept beneath the carpet. I see beautiful people afraid to express and the ugly who will not stop. I see self conjured obligation. I see an ideal I am afraid to reach for. I see humanity for what it is. Ants trying to survive on a ball of burning iron. And so concerned with good and evil. Everything feels so close, so real, so magnificent and huge. The world looks big from here, but it's all a matter of perspective.

I see struggle, everywhere. If there is nothing to struggle against you create it.

No comments:

Post a Comment