Thursday, February 10, 2011

Approval

"Troy: Let me ask you something. People been callin me about this jacket since I got here, but, if I take it off to make them happy, that just makes me weak right?
Jeffrey: It doesn't matter. Listen, you lose the jacket to please them, you keep it to piss them off. Either way, it's for them. That's what's weak."
Troy: Whoa...you just wrinkled my brain man."
- Community

"You know what he did that I think is really crazy? He offered me $100 to switch cards with him just so he could be partners with Jeff. I think he thought getting closer to Jeff would bring him respect in the group. I think he spent his whole life looking out for himself, and he would trade it all for a shot at some kind of family"
- Community

I've just started watching this new show called community. Loosely, it's about a silver tongued, self-interested ex-lawyer (Jeff) who is trying to lie his way through community college and into a girl's (Britta) pants. It seems that the major theme is going to be acting in your self-interest vs. selflessness and doing things for other people. Where it is most beneficial to fall within this dichotomy has been a long standing problem in my mind.

On the one hand I believe that this is my life, and as far as I'm concerned the universe was born when I first opened my eyes, and will die when I finally close them. From this perspective personal gain is paramount, regardless of the feelings of others. Other people's feelings are beyond our control, to an extent. We can make each other good at times, but often caring too much about someone else's feelings is a practice doomed to failure.

Firstly, placing our own emotional well being upon someone else is unproductive. That person is beyond our control, thus making our own feelings beyond our control. I personally would rather put my well being on something that I can control (see: me).

Secondly, we can never be sure of the ultimate outcome of our actions towards another being. Actions percieved to be in someone's benefit could easily be the seed of their downfall. The classic example lies in giving the homeless guy money, which he then uses to feed his destructive alcoholism.

On the other hand we have altruism. Acting in the benefit of others and for the good of mankind. Now firstly, I don't believe in pure altruism. I think that all of our actions and decisions revolve around pursuing pleasure and avoiding pain. Those who act in the benefit of others do it because it makes them feel good on some level. But assuming that the goal in life is to be happy, there is definitely a benefit in helping other people. It makes you feel good. Bringing pleasure to others brings me pleasure, and it seems that this kind of behaviour will create a lasting positive environment.

Interestingly, I think the best way to create a positive state in other people is to first create it in yourself. When I am in a good mood I naturally bring those around me up. When I am in a bad mood I can sometimes take it out on others and bring them down. Emotions are contagious.

I find it impossibly hard to make definitive statements about the best way to live. Probably because there is no such thing and every decision we make in life has a million, never before encountered variables in play. There is always context, and every law has clauses. If I haaad to put this one down in words, however, it would be something like: "Act for yourself, but take the feelings of others into account."

The middle way. Fucking Buddha...

Sadly this show is pretty down the line, so no doubt the self absorbed protagonist will, through extended conflict and unrequited love, learn the error of his selfish ways and become a loving and selfless member of society. Lame. Cool show though.

No comments:

Post a Comment