Monday, February 6, 2012

The supermarket

Neanderthal in a backwards cap walking towards me with the gait of an ape and the scowl of an idiot. A momentary distraction from the moral dilemma presented to me by the egg section - do I really give a fuck about the well being of chickens?

I stalk back and forth across the pasta sauces, sniffing out my prey. They stand uniform and motionless, trying not to stand out, safe in the anonymity of the masses. Dolmio pasta bake, three cheese sauce quivers as my hungry eyes settle on its shell.
It is saved, momentarily, by a bronzed girl in short black shorts who usurps my attention. She walks with the poise of one wanting to subtly impress, past a pillar and out of sight. Back to the sauces. Heh. You should have run when you had the chance, three cheese pasta bake. I can almost hear screams as it falls into my red plastic basket.

Waiting at the checkouts I watch the old Asian man in front of me stack his groceries. He is wearing a thin threaded dirty salmon polo shirt and has wispy grey white hair. I've always liked old Asian men. I think I associate them with the wise men of old kung fu movies. Or my father. In his empty trolley sits a torn piece of cardboard scrawled upon by a 4 colour push pen clipped to its end. His wife must have sent him on a mission.

"Hi Dan." I turn. It's xxxx. My vague and generally pleased smile sits happily as I say hi back. She looks much more attractive than the last time I saw her, falling naked and drunk over her bed. She's with a guy. Tattoo'd and in a tank top. I've seen him with her before. I doubt he's all that interesting. Tattoos tend to polarise people, and I can't imagine he's on the cool end.
She asks if I figured out what I wanted for breakfast. I draw a circle over my shopping basket. They keep walking, out and away. I wonder why she said hi? I was evidently not going to see her, engrossed as I was with the old Asian man. Must have wanted me to see her with another guy. She had time to consider her action. I wonder whether my simple human jealousy will kick in.

I see another girl walk in, black skirt and a white tea cosy top, with the patterned holes you see on the edge of old people's table cloths. Long, healthy straight brown hair. She walks up an aisle and I check out her butt. Not bad. She stops and looks at something. I lean back against the rail and smile at the checkout lady. I turn back. She's looking at me. I look her in the eyes with a self satisfied smirk. Ah, the little victories.

No comments:

Post a Comment