Thursday, April 12, 2012

Priorities.

I think too much. And if it doesn't flutter down from on high and become grounded in reality, it is pointless. Metaphysical masturbation. So, based on my speculation what can I apply to my life in a practical manner?

Well first let's go through my beliefs:

Everything is meaningless

One day the Sun will explode and every trace of our existence will be incinerated in a big fiery ball of death. There will be nothing else. We will live, we will die, and we will be forgotten.
So what do I do? Well the first thing that pops to mind is to fuck to my heart's desire. First thought best thought? Perhaps. Although as I grow older I wonder if sex is really what I want or if it just a temporary, spoon fed solution to existential angst. I mean let's face it, sex is great, but is it fulfilling? I guess it can be. For the most part though I think it tends to be mere ego satiation and fulfilment of base animalistic drives (which is not necessarily a bad thing).

So if we're all fucked, do I run around on a hedonistic Tyler Durden-esque rampage? I'm not going to lie, it sounds pretty damn romantic. All my favourite people are Byronic heroes; those who threw themselves at life like wild beasts, consequences be damned and died fiery deaths in the midst of their passion. Hah. I seem to be convincing myself. And why the fuck not? I don't want to die some timid door mouse, some hollow empty shell of fear and regrets. I want to live and feel and rage and mourn and tears streaming scream at the moon before my time is through. I want to let go.

"Slide." - Mr. Penguin


All meaning is created through language

Good and bad; big and small; alive and dead: just labels we use to make sense of all these funny looking shapes that surround us. However the name =/= the thing. Words have no actual bearing to the thing they signify.
The world as it truly exists is just a series of nameless and meaningless phenomena. I like to think of this world as the world of Zen - beyond definition, existing for and of itself.

Then there is the world we operate in - the world as defined by language. Where things are significant and meaningful because they have been labelled as such. A lexical fantasy of our own creation. This makes sense to me. Fuck you.

Practical application: Use words. Abuse them. They are powerful little fuckers and if you learn to wield them correctly you have the whole world at your hands. Use them against yourself. Don't bother being careful.

"Speak what you think today in words as hard as cannon balls, and tomorrow speak what tomorrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said today... To be great is to be misunderstood." - Emerson

Truth is never absolute. ;]

For truth to have any value at all it requires a careful set of caveats and addendum's. The world is too wild and the circumstances in which choices are made are too different to stand by dogmatic rules. Context is paramount to 'correct' decision making.

Practical application: Fuck rules. Follow your instincts; your subconscious mind is more powerful anyway. Be flexible and don't fall into the trap of defining yourself or anything too rigidly. Be rike a water.

"Uncarved blocks are capable of becoming anything; once they're carved their options have become foreclosed. Nothing is deeper or more effective than simplicity." - Laozi

- Mind shapes environment. Environment shapes mind.
Words are dangerous and beautiful little bastards. The way in which you define your environment defines you. If you do not carefully choose your beliefs, your beliefs will be chosen for you. I think we underestimate the influence that people and the things we read and watch have on us, and conversely the effects we can have on others.

Practical application: Choose your influences. Choose your friends. Choose a fucking big television. Choose life. Treat others as you would have them treat you, because it will come back. (Thanks Jesus <3)

This is boring. What I want is a list of priorities in my life. Fuck the philosophical underpinnings. Here is what I want:

To be unattached and content within myself.
To despite this take action towards the things I want in life. Things like:
Experiences. Travel. Meeting new and crazy people and being the best shining beaming version of me I can possibly be. Playing in a band. Pushing life to the very edges and squeezing out every god damn drop that I can. Face fucking my fears and burning through experiences with an unrelenting passion. Don't settle you asshole. Don't become another digit. Don't be withheld. Don't be afraid. Tear through life without apology and let the dice fall where they may.

And when you're scared remember: you're going to die. The sun is going to explode and all of this means nothing. You are nothing. Use words like weapons and go for what you want, because this all you have, and you are slowly, minute by minute, fucking it all away.

No comments:

Post a Comment