Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Metal Gear

I thought Metal Gear Solid 2 was good. Then the Colonel drops some T.S. Eliot: "this is the way the world ends, not with a bang but with a whimper,' and I think it's great. THEN, at the end, Solid Snake himself paraphrases one of the fundamentals of Taoism!!

Solid Snake: "Listen, don't obsess over words so much. Find the meaning behind the words, then decide."

And now I think it may be one of the best games ever made.

Solid Snake: "Life isn't just about passing on your genes. We can leave behind much more than just DNA. Through speech, music, literature and movies... what we've seen, heard, felt ...anger, joy and sorrow... these are the things I will pass on. That's what I live for. We need to pass the torch, and let our children read our messy and sad history by its light. We have all the magic of the digital age to do that with. The human race will probably come to an end some time, and new species may rule over this planet. Earth may not be forever, but we still have the responsibility to leave what traces of life we can. Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing."

:D:D:D:D

No comments:

Post a Comment